Employment Opportunity - Custodian
Title: Custodian (Part-Time)
Supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor/Director of Parish Administration
Date: October 15, 2018
Purpose and Scope
We are looking for a responsible custodian to maintain and protect our facilities. The external and internal appearance of a building reflects on the occupants. It is important for a custodian, or janitor, to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning and tidying the premises, as well as preventing vandalism. Applicants must have the ability to work in a fast paced parish environment, to operate flexibly and work effectively in an independent and team environment.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs. This position is part-time. Applicants must be flexible and available for occasional weekend work, including Christmas and Easter. Perform other position related tasks as deemed necessary or assigned by the Pastor or Director of Parish Administration.
Monday-Thursday: 3:30 PM – 10:00 PM
Essential Job Functions
- Thoroughness and commitment to ensuring spaces are ready for the next day, including taking out trash, tidying, rearranging furniture, and wiping surfaces as needed
- Sweeping and mopping of floors, as well as vacuuming carpets
- Daily cleaning and sanitizing of all bathroom facilities, including toilets, sinks and kitchens.
- Restock necessary items (e.g. soap, paper products)
- Cleaning of mirrors and windows as needed.
- General out door services and maintenance, such as watering plants, mowing lawn, sweeping entry areas, cleaning glass doors at entrances.
- Safe and proper use of insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests.
- Ability to perform basic maintenance work and minor repairs is a plus (replacing broken switches, repairing door handles, replacing light bulbs etc.)
- Commitment to reporting major damages to management and willingness to oversee repairs, if asked to do so.
- Lockdown facilities at end of day including locking doors, closing windows, and setting the alarm.
Additional Job Functions
- Perform any job-related tasks necessary for the smooth flow of operations within the parish.
- Contributes to team effort for a professional and clean parish environment and maintain good working relationships with all parishioners and parish staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Solid working knowledge of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances and how to maintain them.
- Knowledge of safety protocols such as disposal of chemicals and other hazardous items.
- Comfortable with basic landscaping and maintenance tasks
- Detail oriented and conscientiousness
- Stamina, good physical condition, and strength
- Ability to work 8 hours on your feet and physical strength to lift 30 lbs +
- Verbal and written bilingual skills in English and Spanish.
- Active member of a Roman Catholic Church
- High school diploma or equivalent certificate.
- Must be Safe Environment trained.
- 2 + years work experience as a custodian, janitor, or in a similar role.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Dcn. Andrew B. Gilliland, Director of Parish Administration
St. Anne Roman Catholic Parish
440 E Elliot Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85234