In order for the members of the faith at St. Anne to take their full, conscious and active part in the liturgy, sacristans need to gather the items necessary for Mass and place them in accessible areas for the celebration. Additionally, sacristans need to ensure that these items will be available for future celebrations of the Eucharist, which is the source and summit of our lives as Christians.
The sacristan is responsible for ensuring that prior to each liturgy all elements necessary for that celebration are ready.
- The altar is set. All vessels for the Mass, bread, wine, cruets, etc. are in place.
- The church environment is appropriate as far as heating, cooling, lighting, and the sound system being ready.
- Sufficient ministers and servers are available.
- Provide any special requirements for the celebration (worship aids and vigil candles).
What do I need in order to be a sacristan?
There are a few prerequisites.
- Be a registered member of St. Anne and possess Called to Protect certification with the diocese.
- Be a baptized and confirmed member of the Catholic Church who regularly receives Communion.
- Be a reliable person who is able to participate in the initial and ongoing ministry formation of a sacristan.
- Be a friendly and outgoing person who has organizational skills.
- Be responsible and committed to the sacristan schedule for Sunday and holy day of obligation Masses as well as a few hours each week in the church sacristy.
Activities, Events, News, and Information
As you may already know, the funeral Mass for Joan Elia, Jim’s wife, will be on Monday, January 22nd at 10am. There will be a reception immediately following the internment in the parish hall. The Funeral Ministry needs our assistance with the reception. We are providing the reception to Jim and his family in gratitude for their long years of service to our community. We are hoping that everyone would be willing to contribute a dish for the reception. No need for fancy—just comfort food for us to share as we support Jim and his daughters and remember Joan. We are expecting about 100 guests to attend. Please fill in a need listed below if you will be able to assist in any way.
Food can be dropped off in the parish hall on Monday morning.
Joan’s family invites us to join them in laying their beloved wife and mother to rest.
Sunday, January 21st -Visitation from 5pm-8pm at Queen of Heaven Mortuary in Mesa. Rosary at 7pm.
Monday, January 22nd – Funeral Mass at 10am at St. Anne.
Committal follows Mass at Queen of Heaven Cemetery.
Luncheon following Committal at St. Anne Parish Hall.
Jim and Joan have been pillars of our community for many years. Please join us in supporting Jim and his family in this time of great sorrow.
May God grant them peace and comfort in our presence.
The Spiritual Exercises are a weekend silent retreat with spiritual talks and time for personal meditation in silence.
The spiritual conferences are preached by the priests of Miles Christi, according to the method and the principles of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Apart from the conferences and time for prayer, each day there will also be Holy Mass, Holy Rosary, and opportunity for confessions.
The retreats will start on Friday at 4:00 pm and conclude on Sunday at 5 pm.
As experience has shown throughout the centuries, the Spiritual Exercises have proven to be an excellent means of conversion and sanctification. In addition, the Magisterium of the Church has commended them numerous times.
2018 Silent Retreat Dates
Men 16 & above – November 16-18, 2018
Women 16 & above - February 9-11, 2018 AND September 21-23, 2018
Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center
7415 E Elbow Bend Rd.
Carefree, AZ 85377
To register or for more information email email@example.com or call us at (858) 768-0872