In order for the members of the faith at St. Anne to take their full, conscious and active part in the liturgy, sacristans need to gather the items necessary for Mass and place them in accessible areas for the celebration. Additionally, sacristans need to ensure that these items will be available for future celebrations of the Eucharist, which is the source and summit of our lives as Christians.
The sacristan is responsible for ensuring that prior to each liturgy all elements necessary for that celebration are ready.
- The altar is set. All vessels for the Mass, bread, wine, cruets, etc. are in place.
- The church environment is appropriate as far as heating, cooling, lighting, and the sound system being ready.
- Sufficient ministers and servers are available.
- Provide any special requirements for the celebration (worship aids and vigil candles).
What do I need in order to be a sacristan?
There are a few prerequisites.
- Be a registered member of St. Anne and possess Called to Protect certification with the diocese.
- Be a baptized and confirmed member of the Catholic Church who regularly receives Communion.
- Be a reliable person who is able to participate in the initial and ongoing ministry formation of a sacristan.
- Be a friendly and outgoing person who has organizational skills.
- Be responsible and committed to the sacristan schedule for Sunday and holy day of obligation Masses as well as a few hours each week in the church sacristy.
Activities, Events, News, and Information
We are missing to very large vases ( about 2-2.5ft) clear glass) from a wedding on Feb. 11th. The arrangements were left here after the wedding and were on the altar all week. The couple would like to return the vases to the florist for a refund, but I am unable to locate them.
Does anyone know where they might be?